Inbox closes before folders changed
Chad Harris
2004-01-16 19:15:28 UTC
I'm trying to help someone using OE6SP1 IE6SP1 (all updates for both) WinXP
Home inbox closes before they can change folders who has an excessively full
delete folder. I saw Tom Koch's article on his site on slow folder
switching, and wonder what the best way is to handle this. In his slow
switch article below, Tom finds the origin for this the bulging folder--but
this is a little different--may be another symptom from the same cause. The
other issue is compacting. I noticed Tom recommends compacting, and I
thought a lot has been written to same never to compact--that it can promote
corruption. If that's true, why would Microsoft keep it as an option and
not work out something that would not corrupt. If it's not, I'll appreciate
learning that.

Here are the two Tomsterdam article I looked at that weren't exactly the
same problem but suggestively in the ball park:

*OE Slow To Switch Mail Folders*

http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/problems/performance.htm#slow

*Messages in Inbox or Other Folders Disappear

http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/problems/bugs.htm

These don't really disappear because they'll reappear if OE is opened
backup, but I believe the switching problem is definitely due to that full
delete mail folder--and the paradox is trying to get to it to empty it when
it's the cause. I also wondered if inbox corruption could play a roll, and
if running system file checker could help this situation.

TIA much,

Chad Harris
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE
2004-01-17 13:44:44 UTC
Post by Chad Harris
[...]
Empty Deleted Items and compact it.
--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com
Chad Harris
2004-01-17 20:03:36 UTC
Frank--

Thanks. But the small paradox is that the deleted items folder can't be
emptied because it can't be reached.

Chad

Frank Saunders@mvps.org
2004-01-19 14:32:52 UTC
Post by Chad Harris
[...]
Deleted Items is probably corrupt.
Go to Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store Folder and see where OE is
storing its data files.
Close OE.
Go to the store folder with Windows Explorer and delete Deleted Items.dbx.
With Win2K, WinXP and Win2K3 it will be a hidden file.
OE will build a new one when you reopen it.

If Deleted Items has messages you want to keep, instead of deleting it move
(not copy) it to an empty Windows folder. Then use DBXtract on the old
Deleted Items.dbx.
DBXtract (free): http://www.oehelp.com/DBXtract/
You can drag the recovered messages from the Windows folder back into an OE
folder in the Folder List in an open OE.
--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE
Please respond to newsgroup. I won't answer mail.