Lost emails Help Please
Vaughn
2005-02-18 23:11:04 UTC
After leaving my PC for a while, just running in the background, I returned
to it and tried to check my emails. I could not as the Outlook Express could
not log in, and so download the new emails.

Explorer worked fine, so thought the best thing to try was a reboot, as I
have found that for some reason if this happens it cures the problem.

After getting back into windows, I checked my emails, and all worked fine,
but when I went to read them I found that my Inbox had been deleted, nothing
was there except the new emails.

Are they now lost for ever??

If not how do I find them, and get them back?

Why did this happen?

How do I stop it?

Many thanks in advance for nay help in this aria.

Cheers Vaughn
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
2005-02-19 11:54:43 UTC
In OE got to Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store Folder and see where OE
is currently storing its data files.
Now, go to Start | Find (or Search) and look for *.dbx (with Win2K, WinXP
and Win2K3 you will have to set the search to include hidden files and
folders).
If they are found in a different place go back to OE and use
File | Import | Messages.
Select Outlook Express 5 (or 6, they are the same for this purpose).
Select the lower radio button to import from an Outlook Express store
directory and navigate to the location that OE is not using.

Also, see this article:
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/problems/bugs.htm#mailgone
--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE