Hotmail takes over 5 DAYS to deliver mail (Outlook Express problem?)
MonkeyBoy
2003-10-01 21:07:31 UTC
Some messages I have sent via my hotmail account have
taken over 5 days to be delivered (I'm not exagerating,
see the headers below). Some messages get to the
recipients within minutes.

I have been using Outlook Express (version 6) for
email... is this causing the problem?
One thing I noticed in the headers below is the use of
DAV vs HTTP as well as the initial mail servers used.
Look for "with DAV" and "with HTTP" in the headers.

Sidenote: seems that there should be an MS hotmail
newsgroup... but I'm sure I'm not the first person to
mention that.

HELP!!!
Thanks
-Matt

excerpts from headres
mail sent via Outlook Express 6.
Note that it was first received 9/22
and finally delivered 9/30

Microsoft Mail Internet Headers Version 2.0
org>

Headers from mail sent via
web-based Hotmail (i.e., hotmail.com)

From: "censored" <***@hotmail.com>
To: ***@yahoo.com
Bcc:
Subject: From Hotmail (web)
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 12:34:41 -0700

Headers from mail sent via
Outlook Express 6

From: "censored" <***@hotmail.com>
To: ***@yahoo.com
Subject: From Outlook express
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 12:35:01 -0700
Each mail server that a message passes through inserts a Received header. They are in
reverse order, so that the top most one is the most recent. The server supplies the time
stamp.

In the case or your first example, the relevant headers are

17:18:22 -0700

21:52:25 +0000

So the message was delayed within Hotmail for about 8 days. The problem would not be
specific to Outlook Express. Outlook Express handed off the message. The delay occurred
either within server sea1-dav73.sea1.hotmail.com or in handing the message off from that
server to the next. Apparently Hotmail had some internal problems.

Your 3rd example also used Outlook Express, but the headers showed the message moving
quickly within Hotmail.

Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 12:34:41 -0700
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 12:35:01 -0700
An excellent précis, Mike! Thank you for all your work in the OE NGs over
the years. We've all learned quite a bit from you.
--
~PA Bear
Post by Michael Santovec
Each mail server that a message passes through inserts a Received
header. They are in reverse order, so that the top most one is the
most recent. The server supplies the time stamp.
In the case or your first example, the relevant headers are
Mon, 22 Sep 2003 21:52:25 +0000
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 12:34:41 -0700
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 12:35:01 -0700

Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 12:34:41 -0700
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 12:35:01 -0700
Really, must you crosspost into inappropriate groups, such as
microsoft.public.outlook NOT express??

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Michael Santovec <***@prodigy.net> asked:

| Thank you.
|
| --
|
| Mike - http://pages.prodigy.net/michael_santovec/techhelp.htm
|

| "PA Bear" <***@mvps.org> wrote in message
|| An excellent précis, Mike! Thank you for all your work in the OE
|| NGs over
|| the years. We've all learned quite a bit from you.
|| --
|| ~PA Bear
Thanks for the reply!

It definitely could be a server problem that has nothing to do with
the application I used to send the mails. However, I did some
experimenting and found that no messages I sent via web-based hotmail
(i.e., hotmail.com) were delayed whereas some (and not all as noted)
were significantly delayed (5-12 days) using Outlook Express. Nothing
conclusive... possibly just a coincidence.

What struck me as interesting are the delivery mechanisms...
all mails sent from hotmail.com show up as "WITH HTTP" in the headers
while all mails sent via Outlook Express show up as "WITH DAV" in the
headers.
Perhaps there's an intermitent problem with queuing mail delivered
using that protocol... locks on the posted content not always being
released by the client (Outlook Express) or something like that?
Just a guess.

PA Bear
2003-10-03 16:45:53 UTC
The server used to send Hotmail messages from OE is different than the one
used when sending from the online page, MonkeyBoy.
--
HTH...Please post back to this thread

~Robear Dyer (aka PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
AH-VSOP
http://forum.aumha.org/
MonkeyBoy
2003-10-04 00:17:19 UTC
Given that difference, is there a known problem with the servers used
to handle OE mail that would cause a 5-12 day delay? (not hours...
days)

Also, I looked through the headers that I asked recipients to mail
back to me hoping to find that delayed mail had been routed through
the same server...

sea1-dav69.sea1.hotmail.com -- 7 day delay
sea1-dav66.sea1.hotmail.com -- 1 day delay
sea1-dav73.sea1.hotmail.com -- 12 day delay
sea1-dav73.sea1.hotmail.com -- 8 day delay

I have no idea if the host names above are all really separate
servers... one would assume so.

Given that Hotmail support in OE is currently in Beta, I'm hoping that
someone from the Hotmail server staff will peek at logfiles to
determine what caused the lengthy delays. Maybe use the message ID's
in the full headers posted at the beginning of this thread?

http://forum.aumha.org/
Andrew Hodgson
2003-10-06 15:35:00 UTC
Post by MonkeyBoy
Given that Hotmail support in OE is currently in Beta, I'm hoping that
someone from the Hotmail server staff will peek at logfiles to
determine what caused the lengthy delays. Maybe use the message ID's
in the full headers posted at the beginning of this thread?
The MSN 8 software will also use DAV to send emails to the Hotmail
servers, in this case the mails go through straight away (ala three
tests I have just done sending mails to my main address from my
Sister's machine running MSN 8:

|From: "Andrew Hodgson" <***@msn.com.remove>
|To: <***@hodgsonfamily.org.remove>
|Subject: Testing with MSN
|Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 16:27:28 +0100

[...]

Actually as the server machine is in the same room as my Sister's
computer, I pressed the send button in MSN8 and saw the disk light up
almost straight away on the server machine. So this begs the question
of whether OE users are given different servers to send/interact with
mail than MSN8 users, or whether it is just the time of day that I
have used Hotmail, as I have not experienced this slowdown.

Andrew.
Mr. Clean
2003-10-06 15:59:22 UTC
<SNIP>
Post by Andrew Hodgson
Actually as the server machine is in the same room as my Sister's
computer, I pressed the send button in MSN8 and saw the disk light up
almost straight away on the server machine. So this begs the question
of whether OE users are given different servers to send/interact with
mail than MSN8 users, or whether it is just the time of day that I
have used Hotmail, as I have not experienced this slowdown.
Well it actually depends upon your HM account as different HM accounts
may have different servers. They know not if it is a OE accessed account
and don't care. The DAV stuff is done the same way in browser account
access as it is in OE account access.

Yes, HM uses WebDAV in it's browser access, too.
Andrew Hodgson
2003-10-06 16:34:40 UTC
Post by Mr. Clean
<SNIP>
Post by Andrew Hodgson
Actually as the server machine is in the same room as my Sister's
computer, I pressed the send button in MSN8 and saw the disk light up
almost straight away on the server machine. So this begs the question
of whether OE users are given different servers to send/interact with
mail than MSN8 users, or whether it is just the time of day that I
have used Hotmail, as I have not experienced this slowdown.
Well it actually depends upon your HM account as different HM accounts
may have different servers. They know not if it is a OE accessed account
and don't care. The DAV stuff is done the same way in browser account
access as it is in OE account access.
And you know this how? To me at least it seems that a hotmail account
is not tied down to specific servers, you connect to a specific server
when connecting to www.hotmail.com or whatever server MSN8/OE uses.
Certainly www.hotmail.com has several A records pointing to it, and I
am sure that when sending mail it goes through different random
servers bellonging to Hotmail until it gets to the recipient.
Post by Mr. Clean
Yes, HM uses WebDAV in it's browser access, too.
No it doesn't. If you send a message from the Web interface you can
see that it is being send via HTTP, according to received headers in
the message headers. DAV, whatever this is, seems to be used when
sending/receiving mail using Hotmail via OE/MSN8 or other products
that can receive mail using Hotmail (Outlook 2002 for example, to
bring this on topic with discussions in the Outlook group).

Andrew.
Mr. Clean
2003-10-06 19:46:37 UTC
<SNIP>
Post by Andrew Hodgson
Post by Mr. Clean
Well it actually depends upon your HM account as different HM accounts
may have different servers. They know not if it is a OE accessed account
and don't care. The DAV stuff is done the same way in browser account
access as it is in OE account access.
And you know this how? To me at least it seems that a hotmail account
is not tied down to specific servers, you connect to a specific server
when connecting to www.hotmail.com or whatever server MSN8/OE uses.
Certainly www.hotmail.com has several A records pointing to it, and I
am sure that when sending mail it goes through different random
servers bellonging to Hotmail until it gets to the recipient.
Because in the different accounts that I have I get the SAME server for
each account for each access and have since obtaining these accounts
several years ago.
Post by Andrew Hodgson
Post by Mr. Clean
Yes, HM uses WebDAV in it's browser access, too.
No it doesn't. If you send a message from the Web interface you can
see that it is being send via HTTP, according to received headers in
the message headers. DAV, whatever this is, seems to be used when
sending/receiving mail using Hotmail via OE/MSN8 or other products
that can receive mail using Hotmail (Outlook 2002 for example, to
bring this on topic with discussions in the Outlook group).
Behind the scenes it uses the same methods. OE uses HTTPMail for WebDAV
but in sending it does a HTTP POST directly to the sendmsg folder on the
HM account you are sending from. I have written code that does that
using XMLHTTP. I can send messages via my HM accounts and not even be
using a browser. Using HM from the browser POSTS the item to a different
URL but it works the same, you just have to pay attention to the hidden
form variables.

Kevin
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 12:34:41 -0700
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 12:35:01 -0700